Winam Green Ventures (WGV) is a non-profit organization based in Kisumu, Kenya that empowers women to implement environmentally-Friendly socio-economic initiatives. The Founder of WGV, Prescilla Awino, served as the Program Manager for WCI’s Girls Advocacy and Leadership Series (GALS) in Kisumu in 2019. Prescilla has experience Leading workshops and initiatives focused on agribusiness, sexual health, leadership, advocacy, and entrepreneurship. Some of her existing initiatives include creating an organic, sustainable community garden for local women to maintain and sell produce to procure safe income, and training women to sell solar cook stoves to reduce carbon-related health and environmental issues.
WGV provides the following services to the community around Lake Victoria Region:
- Women Economic Empowerment through agri-business skills enhancement, climate smart agriculture training and micro-finance training.
- Safe space for vulnerable women and girls voice amplification and interaction. As a result of marginalization and fear of victimization and stigmatization from the community, WGV offers the women a safe space where they can talk and freely share without fear of judgment and victim shaming. This we believe is the first step to building their self esteem
- Networking and partnerships: WVG provides linkage opportunities for the women and youths who in turn find help and empowerment from the relevant networks.
To empower women in marginalized communities with respect to human rights, socio-economic capacity enhancement and healthcare while upholding ecosystem integrity through trainings, research, entrepreneurial practices and sustainable development.
Environmental conservation and Community Empowerment for Sustainability
- To empower grassroot communities to initiate nature based enterprises that contribute towards biodiversity conservation, livelihood improvement and sustainable development.
- To promote environmental conservation through local community involvement and collaborations with relevant partners.
- To collaborate with institutions and individuals in enhancing applied research, education and training initiatives on various thematic areas in the region.
- To make information available and accessible to groups and individuals on appropriate technologies for sustainable development.